Monday, May 05, 2008

I'm Married to the Good Samaritan

I was reminded of this fact the other day as I read him a blog entry by a lady who was looking for some "connections" to get equipment to start a non-profit company. He said, "How much would it cost? Let's just buy it for her." Keep in mind, this is a total stranger and we aren't rich.

Earlier this year there was a family in our ward trying to raise enough money to make a trip to Kansas so their kids could compete in a track meet. Tyler put a couple hundred dollars in an envelope and left it in their mailbox. He said to me, "It won't change our lives that much to not have that money, but it could change theirs."

I could go on... but you'd get bored. Let's just say that I'm on edge when we drive in a snowstorm. Not only because it could be dangerous, but Tyler is willing to risk life and limb to help any other stranded driver. I wish I were more generous in this aspect, okay I DON'T wish I were... I think it's scary to pick up hitchhikers, but I do really admire Tyler for this.

And in that spirit... here he is, the man of the hour, being generous enough to watch a basketball game with Oliver and Tucker (he doesn't enjoy sports- Oliver loves every sport he's ever seen or heard about).

Go Jazz!

8 comments:

Judy Huntzinger said...

Yes, and he has always been that way. He has befriended the friendless everywhere we have moved and helped the needy. One of the hardest things I have done yet, was to drop him off at a local truck stop so that he could hitch hike to the midwest and help with the flood victims.... this was in a day before cell phones etc. He is adventuresome for sure. Surely the Lord loves such a service oriented heart.

Unknown said...

makes me teary eyed. cute =)

I wonder where Oly got his love of sports?

Laura said...

Tim is that way too, and since I have first-aid training, we make a pretty good team stopping for accidents and all. But I agree, I get scared picking up strangers and things. There are certain things that men can do more safely than women, that's for sure. So I just help when I can and appreciate what he does.

Anonymous said...

And of course, he's right! I always intend to do those things (like drop off money in a mailbox to people I know need it), but never get around to it. Good for him (and for you!) for following through. That's the most important part.

By the way, my DVR finally recorded the show with your house in it. Ya'll look great! It's funny to see the house now, even, with more accessories and paintings in it.

Collings Family said...

One of the things I really love about Tyler. Its fun to hear all of those stories.

stephanie said...

hey charlotte. how's tucker? that chair is called a bumbo and i think i've seen them at target. we are just borrowing my neice's, so i'm really not sure where they are sold. but they are great. i hope things are going well at your house!

Mr. Sessions said...

I don't even know if Tyler remembers this but when we were about 16 or so we were traveling down a street and it looked as though a kids was getting beat up but like 7 other kids. Tyler slammed on the breaks and we jumped out ( Tyler without hesitation, me with trembling knees) to try and break it up. It turned out they were just playing around but it really was a window into Tyler's character and compassion. I never let him know but it was moving to see.

Mr. Sessions said...

Sorry it is late and my grammar has flown out the window for my last comment,but I had yet another memory of Tyler's compassion. A new family moved in to our ward where all the kids were severely socially challenged. One night at mutual Tim ( sorry Tim) was giving one of the kids a hard time and Tyler rebuked him rather sternly. When we were alone later I asked Tyler why it was such a big deal to him. He turned to me and said that he used to be the kid everyone picked on and it was our duty to stand up for the little guy. Tyler also admonished me as a teacher to make sure that I never let kids down by not developing them in social skills and building this compassion that he so readily shows others. I am a product of his compassion and it certainly has shaped my life Laird