So I've decided to get really serious about my goal to learn to swim. I was going to try and run the Salt Lake Marathon this year, but since I'll be in the Philippines with Tyler for two weeks during some pretty critical training time- I'll save that one for later. Then, I was going to run in the Wasatch Back, but it sold out. So I've decided to train for a triathlon. Not sure I'll actually enter one, but I thought I'd go ahead and get the training out of the way! =) When I told one of my good friends I was thinking of entering a triathlon she was quick to remind me, "But Charlotte, you can't bike or swim. How's that going to work?" Kinda took the wind out of my sails. Somehow I just thought I'd figure it out in time.
So I went swimming on Friday morning. I was up at 5 a.m., completely terrified by the prospect. With running, it's so easy. If you're stride is a little off- you just run faster and it will work it's way out. Seriously- that's a proven fact. But with swimming, there is no faking it. And I'm pretty sure trying to swim faster would just make me drown.
I figured out pretty quickly that I could only swim one time across the pool. When I first tried to go there and back, I was completely pooped about halfway through the return trip. Then, I didn't realize that since I'm five foot two, when I put my feet down and try to stand up in five foot water, my head is still under. Go ahead and laugh as you picture that one. So I go over to the side to take a break. This guy decides to join my lane and says, "Feeling the burn, huh?" I proceed to explain that I don't know how to swim, etc. Yeah, I think he probably already knew that. He decides he'd rather chat with me than swim and attempts to tell me his life story. I quickly say, "I've got to figure this out" and swim away and he takes the hint and leaves. Then, I get to the other side and take a rest and who do I see, but a guy from my ward. What is this, happy hour? He asks how I'm doing and I again explain that I don't know how to swim and am trying to figure it out. I have no idea why I kept explaining that! As if watching me for 2 seconds didn't already made that point obvious! Blame it on nerves, I guess.
Anyway, by the end I could almost make it across and back without a break. And I figured something out. I kinda like swimming. When Tyler asked me what I liked about it, I had no idea. I guess, even though it was hard, it was sort of relaxing. I know I didn't work hard enough because I wasn't even sore afterward. We'll see how it goes. You know how I LOVE a challenge.
7 comments:
5 a.m.! Go Charlotte! Pretty sure if I went swimming at 5 a.m. I'd drown and I know how to swim. :)
I love to swim. I totally understand the relaxation part. When I was having a bad day in high school, I would go to swim practice and just loose the badness in the water. I used to count strokes or visualize situations or daydream which is so easy to do once you hit a nice stroke. Here's my tip on swimming: kick from your hips, not your knees.
Good luck! I wish I cold join you.
I really admire your drive. I like swimming as long as I don't have to put my face in the water. Kind of funny because my kids are the same way.
My main problem with swimming (besides my feet sinking) is that I can't see without my glasses! Did I tell you I started to head into the men's restroom to change the last time I tried it? The man coming out kindly guided me in the right direction. I'm done with swimming...but I applaud your efforts!
Another new horizon:) I like the water too but, don't know the strokes either. It sure is fun to try anyway. I like being weightless and working out. I am sure you'll figure out how to get sore next time you go!
This is LaVar, but Judy is already signed in so it is easier to use her identity. My suggestion is that your problem isn't the strokes, it is the breathing. You must have reasonable strokes or you couldn't make it across the pool. But you are probably uncomfortable having your face in the water and so mostly hold your breath except for gasps when you have to. It is the holding your breath that makes you tired. Try running while holding your breath and taking a gasp every so often.
Years ago when I taught swimming I found that having the swimmer hold on to the side of the pool so they could stay in approximate swimming position in the water and then practice their breathing helped them get it right. As you know you want to be blowing out while your face is pointed into the water and roll your head to the side to breath in (with the mouth open wide so that having a little water come in too is no problem) and then roll your head back down to breath out (exhale). Try to do it in the same slow rhythm you will need to complete your stroke. If doing that at the side of the pool makes you tired then you know that breathing is the problem. If you get comfortable enough doing it at the side that you don't get tired then you just have to breath the same while you really swim.
Good you are doing this!!!
Love you,
LaVar
Oh Georgia's comment made me laugh so hard. I am the total opposite of you. I swam every day growing up.I love it!! In fact the summer before last my friend and I were training for a sprint triathlon and we had to swim 20 laps in a pool. It was hard for her but I just did it. I guess all those summers as a kid swimming pays off. Good luck with your swimming. You can do it!
Post a Comment