Thursday, July 17, 2008

I miss Louisiana

(this is a little sample of the good 'ole Louisiana cuisine we enjoyed)

As I visited the Wal-Mart in Alexandria during our most recent visit, I was reminded of why I miss Louisiana. and living in the South. Once, a guy almost ran into me and apologized profusely... and he MEANT it. Seriously, it wasn't just a courtesy, rushed, "sorry".... it was a true, "Excuse me, I am so sorry." And then, as I tried to get out the sliding door, another woman and I almost collided (I was a little rushed...). As I scooted over to let her past, she said, "Oh no, I'm just gonna stand here and find my sunglasses. You go on." Some of you probably know exactly what I am talking about. For those that don't understand... I apologize for my inability to accurately portray that "feeling", that goes beyond hurried politeness, that you don't find anywhere else.

It reminded me of last year when we went to the reunion. As we started getting close, and the trees began to change and I could smell the scent of Louisiana, I was overcome with a feeling of nostalgia. It really took me off guard. I truly didn't think I missed it that much. But after being there again, I realized I do. And not in an idyllic way (I did visit the local Popeye's Chicken... and it brought it all back)... but with a real yearning that the rest of the world were more like it and a renewed commitment to treat people like I haven't forgotten that I'm from the South (even if everyone looks at me funny). Wish I could get my kids on board and they would continue with the "yes ma'am's" they learned from their cousins.... but I'll just enjoy it while it lasts!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen!! On my flight to New Orleans, I had more help offered than I could take--and everyone offering to help was from Louisiana. I try to be that way out here and everyone looks at me like I'm crazy...

I miss Louisiana already.

Leslie said...

i've come to love the south so much, when we thought of even moving to OK, it seemed too midwestern to me. but it's weird to me that people are really so different other places, i guess i've just become used to the friendly way. after all, texas isn't so bad, either! we'd love to have you live here. don't forget. :)

Collings Family said...

Your post almost made my cry. Even though Virginia is borderline south...I remember having the same feelings the last time I went home. People were more patient with my kids misbehaving. Men opened doors for me. People had conversations with you in the checkout line. The smells just about killed me. When I was a teenager I just wanted to get out of VA and explore the world and now I find I just want to go home!

Alyssa said...

It sounds like it might be time...