Tuesday, October 05, 2010

Conference Weekend

The Sunday before Conference, I taught in Relief Society. Somehow the topic strayed and people started talking about what they do to prepare themselves for General Conference. I felt like I hadn't ever done a lot to prepare for Conference (other than frantically trying to find something to help my kids maintain attention) and decided to change that this year. In addition to praying for the prophets and apostles that would be speaking, we decided, as a family, to not listen to the radio for a week. Okay- the "we" was "me," but everyone reluctantly agreed to it.

I think it was hard for the girls, especially for Savannah since she feels like she needs a little something to get her "psyched" for soccer. It definitely changed my routine as well since I usually listen to some type of radio-type music when I exercise. I listened to the book "Mao's Last Dancer" instead and found it really enjoyable.

So the weekend came and I was really excited. We decided to have the kids watch from tents (an idea from the Friend magazine) reminiscent of King Benjamen's address to his people and I made binders for the kids with activities from the Sugardoodle website.

How did it go? Pretty much just as usual with only the added "stop messing with the tent" and the occasional "Tucker spilled water again." I was pretty frustrated and suggested that next year we dress the kids up in church clothes and see if we can't find some Stake Center that still broadcasts.

On Monday, I started Family Home Evening by asking what talk everyone enjoyed most from Conference. I expected only the girls to answer, but Oliver jumped in with, "I liked it when our president was talking about how his mom wished he played the piano and he sang that little song he played when he was little." Just when you think they're not paying attention...

2 comments:

Georgia said...

You see...I told you it wasn't a disaster! They did hear something!

Stacey said...

tell him I liked that part too :)