Monday, March 21, 2011

History Buffs

Oliver has an older teacher that I just love because she kind of teaches the same way I was taught as a child. She has spent the last month teaching the kids about American history and the constitution. Oliver loves history, but has been known to fabricate very plausible sounding facts when he doesn't actually know an answer, so we were intrigued when we got this note from his teacher.


Tyler quizzed him on a few stories and we were quite impressed with what he knew. It reminded me of something that Emmaline did in preschool.
Preschool was difficult for Emmaline. She didn't want to learn the alphabet and sitting still without fidgeting was difficult. One of her teachers adored her, but the other was quite frustrated and often pulled me aside after class to discuss various things. It was a pleasant surprise one day when she pulled me aside to say, "Emmaline is REALLY bright." When I asked what she meant, she explained that they were studying flags from around the world and when they came to France, Emmaline began spouting out facts about the Statue of Liberty. Savannah had been doing a school project about the Statue of Liberty (including making a clay model) and we hadn't realized all that Emmaline was soaking it all in. When she came home, I asked what she had told the class. She repeated the facts, then added, "I told them that they took it apart in France and sent it over in a bunch of suitcases. My teacher told me that wasn't right."
We laughed our heads off. Another funny Emmaline story...
The other day she was telling me about a boy in her class that was really smart. She said she guessed he was so smart because his Dad was always talking to him about history and politics and he actually understood it! I'm guessing she must be feeling a little lost during some of our dinner table discussions.

No comments: