When Mama died, there were two things of hers that I wanted. The rocking chair and the big green bowl. I guess I wanted memories more than "things," really. My very earliest memories are of her rocking me in that chair when I had ear aches and who doesn't remember the bowl? It was almost always on the counter with the makings of some kind of bread inside. I couldn't find the green bowl for a long time. This summer I found it at the ranch. I'm pretty sure there are actually two green bowls- one was at the ranch and the other one was at home (in case someone else wants one) but I had to take this one with me.
I'm probably not the only one of her children that feels that Thanksgiving begins a bitter sweet time of year. As Mama's favorite holidays approach, I really try to focus on the happy memories and the making of new ones for my own kids. But it's hard to not be overwhelmed by the deep sense of loss of what this used to mean. I hope, this time, I can use the big, green bowls to help me keep perspective of all that I have to celebrate- and to add a little something to my cranberry bread, and rolls- and everything else I can dream up to cook!
4 comments:
My mom had this big "magic blue spoon" growing up that did all of the best stirring, and was indestructable. When my parents moved to Argentina and got rid of most of their stuff the magic blue spoon came with me to college, and I still have it. When my siblings come over they are always happy to see the magic blue spoon,and although my mom says she wants it back I don't think I can give it back. Mac and cheese does not taste the same stirred with anything else!
The green bowl is a classic, and we are enjoying the cranberry bread you gave us today. Thanks for giving us a little part of Mama.
the green bowl and diamond rings with bread dough stuck in them . . .
Are green bowls a southern thing? Because I swear my grandmother had the same one. I hope you had a great Thanksgiving.
Post a Comment