Sunday, January 25, 2009

Christmas

In keeping with my theme of events that should have been posted LONG ago- here is a recap of Christmas. It was very quiet and really great. Christmas Eve was spent at Georgia's, making a gingerbread house and having the usual clam chowder and ham sandwiches.

As a side note, Oliver's downstairs bedroom had just been finished on the 23rd. It was so exciting, the girls decided to spend the night with him in his new room. Although he thought his bedroom was really great, he was a little nervous about spending the night alone the next night. He asked the girls if they would join him again. They told him they preferred to sleep in their own room. On the way home from Georgia's he said, "Okay Sannah. I've decided. You get to sleep with me tonight!" He thought he had it all figure out =)

The Webkinz from Grandma and Grandad were a big hit.

I didn't even know Oliver wanted one until he said,"Finally, my very own Webkinz."

He named it "Fuzzy Max" after Micah and Stephanie's Max and it's been his constant companion ever since. Tucker enjoyed his new seahorse. He opens and cuddles objects with quite a bit of vigor.

This year Emmaline saved her money for months to get everyone a special present.
We decided Tyler's was the "best wrapped." She used floral wire to complete the look.

But she spent almost all of her money buying a doll for Savannah. She was so excited to give it to her. I just love moments like that.

Tyler thought it was high time we start teaching Oliver some skills. He bought him several sets of learning cards to get started (numbers, shapes, etc.). After opening a few of them (Tyler wrapped them each individually) he said, "Why do people keep giving me all these cards that I don't even want." The expression was priceless.

We had Christmas dinner at our house. I was really happy with the way all the food turned out. I think I've finally gathered all my favorite recipes. (Now if I can just keep up with them, right Judy?!) The only disaster was the pumpkin pie. When we picked pumpkins this year, I specifically asked the owner which variety was best for pie. One of us misunderstood the other 'cuz, Mister, that was no pumpkin. It was some kind of squash and it made for an interesting pie. Of course there was lime jello with pomegranate seeds and bananas because it just wouldn't be a Huntzinger Christmas without it.

As always, there were after dinner games. The older group enjoyed Settler's

while the younger ones convinced John to play "Hungry, Hungry Hippos" a million times. Wish I had a video of that because a picture doesn't do justice to his playing style. "LOO- SERS!"

All in all, it was a wonderful Christmas filled with lots of family and plenty of tradition.

5 comments:

Leslie said...

cute and fun! :)

Judy Huntzinger said...

Oh! thanks for posting that its the next best thing to being there ( there is a lot of space between those two) Thanks for the big hint and I am glad they like the webkins. LaVar found the dog and we knew that would have to go to Ollie. I had something else in mind but once we saw "fuzzy Max" it became "just the thing". Glad he thought it was "a good present". The kids all look so cute in matching pajamas. The story of Emmaline and Savannah brought tears to my eyes, you are teaching them the true art of giving and they learning it! Also the art of gratitude as seen by Savannah. That is just great. Thanks so much for sharing.... we sure missed all of you.

Collings Family said...

Love your traditiions and the pictures. Oliver's expression is priceless!

julie said...

Sounds like you had a lot of fun. The pics are darling. I remember saving and getting someone that special gift and seeing how excited they were. It is the best feeling. Tucker is getting so big! They are all beautiful!

Tyler H said...

I thought Oliver's quote about the cards will probably be my most memorable from this Christmas, "Dad, those cards are, NOT good." Emmaline's Paintbrush wrapping was a real art.
I this Savannah's reaction to Emmaline's gift to her, was exactly what Emma was hoping for.
I never get tired of looking at pictures of that Tucker. He is definitely the SILLIEST person I have ever known.