Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Too early for New Year's Resolutions

Don't you hate it when you make a goal and you HAVE to finish it?! I am constantly doing that to myself. As mentioned earlier, I hate to iron. A couple of years ago, someone- who will remain anonymous to protect the guilty- made a rule that un-ironed clothing could not leave the laundry room. This is to prevent the dilemma of having 5 minutes to get ready for an appointment, looking into the closet and finding the perfect shirt, only to find that it must be ironed and the only person who knows how to iron has left to take the kids to school. Quite a problem, apparently.

You might think this would make me diligent about ironing since I love things to be organized. Nope, it has resulted in a big bin where everything un-ironed piles up. On Sunday I decided I had hit the limit. There were 30 items that needed to be ironed.

In the past, I have tried to iron 3 things a day until it is done. This hasn't worked because I "cheat" and iron things like a napkin instead of the big items and then give up when only big things are left. So I decided to take it on full force and iron 10 items every day for 3 days (in addition to my normal daily cleaning). After waking up this morning (the 2nd day of the 3) and being furious with myself for making another crazy goal... I got through my 10 items and surprise, I miscounted and there are only 7 left for tomorrow. Now... nobody can wear anything until next month! =)

7 comments:

Judy Huntzinger said...

I really don't like to iron either. My mother just LOVES it, go figure. You are funny and apparently blessed too. I think a good rule might be, if you bought an article that needs ironing then you are responsible to iron it!!! How about that? :0) You are a great lady. We love you.

Anonymous said...

I detest ironing. My brother Chris burned his hand really badly on an iron when he was a toddler, so I won't have the ironing board out when the kids are around, so I have to do it at night when they are all sleeping. I am so tired by then and ironing is so tedious, that I do one thing and then call it quits. Phil is responsible for doing all his own ironing. You are a better woman than me!

Anonymous said...

I am not only impressed by your lofty ironing goals, but that you iron napkins! That in itself deserves praise.

Collings Family said...

I would like the find out who the person was that deemed it socially unacceptable to wear wrinkled clothing so when I meet them on the "other side" I can make them do some sort of penance for the torture they put me through with my ironing responsibilities. Its good to find a fellow comrade.

Laura said...

I too loathe the iron, so I got a steamer. It doesn't get some things as crisp as an iron does, but it's better than lugging out the board and worrying that my kids are going to pull it on themselves. I just wave the steamer around a bit and most clothes look better. Low standards, that's my motto! (ha ha)

Anonymous said...

Kristine has a rule that if I propose a rule like that, she gets to punch me in the face. Luckily all my shirts are wrinkle-free! We found some really nice ones with good looking stitch that come out of the dryer looking like they were ironed.

Anonymous said...

I think maybe that person was just helping to work out a system to prevent such tragic occurrences. “Rule” kind of implies some sort of punishment or something. Kind of makes that person sound a little weird. I guess that could be accurate but not really in that specific way….