Wednesday, December 26, 2007

One of my favorite things.

This is a little post-it note that Mama wrote the menu for her last Thanksgiving menu. It is one of my most prized possessions. Funny how that works, the little things are the best. This is really the first Christmas since her passing that I think I've really been able to have fun and not just want the whole thing to be over. We had dinner at the Hoopes on Sunday, dinner at Georgia's on Monday and dinner here on Tuesday. I did that menu, mostly... with a few additions. But it made me really happy to look at that little list as I planned it all and remember how much she loved the holidays and having her family all around to enjoy it. Any ideas of how I can preserve this little memento? I'm thinking some kind of shadow box, but I haven't figured it out yet.

6 comments:

Judy Huntzinger said...

LaVar suggests to scan it first, so that you have an electronic copy in case something bad happens to the original you will have something. A shadow box sounds very nice with someway to say who wrote it, for posterity. Funny how a simple everyday thing becomes a treasure in different circumstances. It would be fun to have a picture of your mom at a Thanksgiving to put with it... justs ideas. Glad your holidays were great.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm so glad you have that! It is so "Mama!" We've been having that same menu for all of our lives. It's so funny that she wrote it down. I think the shadow box sounds great. They have little black and white frames at Target, like the one I used on the picture of our house.

Love you,
Georgia

Leslie said...

love it! the martha stewart line of crafts at michael's has pretty, little shadowboxes. they're nice and small. . .

stephanie said...

that is so special. i think it would look nice just in a little frame.

Anonymous said...

Funny thing about our dinner--after everyone left, my brother Chris said that Tyler must hate coming over to our house, because the minute he walks in the door, I am asking him about paint colors and decorating ideas! Sorry about that! I hope he doesn't hate coming over here!!

The shadowbox idea sounds beautiful. I think a small, black one would look very pretty.

Collings Family said...

I saw the neatest frame for something like that in Pottery Barn. It suspends the post it note in glass and so the glass is like the matte, and then there is the frame. Thanks for sharing that with us - it really warmed my heart.