Monday, October 16, 2006

Martha- Chapter 5

This was a REALLY hard chapter to write. I have read some of the LDS chapter books for this age group, and they get really cheezy when they talk about things concerning the spirit. I tried to keep it a bit simple, only including a couple of feelings a child might have as they feel the spirit. Please give suggestions of how I can make it better.

Chapter 5 The Missionaries

They hurried down the stairs and out into the street in search of Savannah. They hoped she could tell them where they could find the men she had talked about. Carefully avoiding holes in the uneven streets, they almost walked right past Savannah.

“Martha, wait,” she cried. “I just couldn’t wait for you to ask, so I’ve brought them along with me. These are the missionaries from America.”

As Martha looked up, she noticed that Savannah had two men beside her. As she inspected them curiously, one man removed his hat and reached his hand to her mother saying, “Heber Kimball, sister. I’m an apostle of the Lord Jesus Christ.”

Martha was confused, not only by his strange accent, but by the thought that someone would say that he was an apostle of Jesus, almost like he knew Jesus himself. She expected her mother to protest, but as she looked at her, she was surprised to see her mother’s eyes glistening.

“I don’t know who you are,” her mother stammered, “but I suddenly have a feeling that I’ve waited a long time to meet you.”

“That’s the feeling of the Lord’s spirit, sister,” exclaimed Heber. “After we have attended to the matter at hand, I’ll be glad to tell you more about the prophet the Lord has sent to speak to us.”

Suddenly Martha remembered why they had come looking for Savannah. She wasn’t sure at all that she wanted anything to do with this man. He was so bold and different than any other person she had met. One look at her mother removed all her fear. Her mother’s face was almost glowing as she looked at these men. Martha wasn’t sure what that meant, but she trusted her mother to know what was best.

“Let’s go back into our home,” her mother directed. The group hurried from the street, back to the cottage. The main room was crowded with so many people and Martha felt a bit afraid as she wondered what these men would do.

“Have you a chair for her to sit in, sister?” Heber asked her mother. Martha sat in the chair and the others stood around her, watching. “Brother Parley, would you help with the blessing?”

As the men placed their hands on her head, Martha felt a power surround her. It was a feeling that made her heart pound quickly and made her want to cry. It was also a happy feeling that made her think that everything would be okay. She was startled out of her thoughts by the loud “amen” of the missionaries.

“Now sisters,” said Heber, “we’ve been sent by the Lord to give you the good news of the gospel.”

4 comments:

stephanie said...

that was perfect, charlotte! not cheasy at all, but just simple and good. it was very spiritual, but in such a nice, sincere way. this was my favorite chapter!

Leslie said...

i really like it, too. the only thing i would change is the wording in the first paragraph so that you don't read Savannah two times so close together. maybe use "her" or "martha's new friend" for one or the other instance.
i think the part where the spirit is touching them is beautiful. you do such a great job!

Charlotte said...

Great suggestion, Leslie. I actually struggled with that, but couldn't figure out a way to resolve it.

Natalie said...

oh my goodness - I got the chills just reading this - so beautifully written. I love Martha's reaction and how you put it - confused and curious that these men might know Jesus personally - whoa - that is so powerful. And I love her mother's reacton and reply when meeting Heber Kimball - amazing work, Charlotte!