Sunday, August 28, 2011

Good, Better, Best

It's that time again... back to school and a new family "theme" for the school year. I started forming my ideas for the theme for this year in about April. I was having a discussion with a fellow parent of a player on Savannah's soccer team. Since her coach and most of the players on the team are LDS, I thought the subject of playing soccer on Sunday wouldn't be an issue. I was so wrong! I was really surprised as this mother told me that she wasn't sure there would be anyone else on the team that WOULDN'T play on Sundays besides Savannah after we entered High School. Soccer, unlike many other sports, depends on the competition league for scholarship opportunities... and the scouts almost exclusively attend the tournaments hosted on Sundays. She felt like those not playing on Sunday were holding the whole team back, and since there are many high profile sports players that are LDS that go around giving firesides, it must be okay.

We've discussed this a lot with Savannah, and she wants to continue to play as much as possible without Sunday play. We decided, however, that for Emmaline- it would be better to give soccer up and focus more on art and Cross Country (more on how she knocked it out at the County Meet when I try to catch up my summer blogs!). It's been difficult, and as we've discussed this more and more, I keep having the thought, "some things are worth giving up" going through my head. Although it didn't have a catchy phrase, I thought I'd still go with it because it was a thought that wouldn't leave me alone. The Saturday before I presented it, I was at the party store, talking to Tyler on the phone, trying to brainstorm for something visual to go along with it. I was explaining to Tyler my dilemma and he said, "Wait. Go through your thoughts again." And after listening he said, "Oh you mean good, better, best." Boy did I feel stupid, but that was it!!

I began by referencing Elder Oaks talk entitled "Good, Better, Best" from his October 2007 talk. When he was a kid, a lot of shopping was done using the Sears and Roebucks catalog. In that catalog, items like boots were sold in three different qualities: good, better and best. I explained that I also had 3 gifts for them to make a choice about. They could chose one now, wait a while for the better option, or hold out until the end for the best option. (Totally Tyler's idea... can you tell? ;)

I then talked a little about an article from the Deseret News by Richard and Linda Eyre. It talks about how the average life span is 84 years. If you split that up into sevenths, you get twelve years for each seventh. That means that, for the girls, they are in there 2nd seventh of life. If you think about it, the majority of life's big decisions are made in the 2nd seventh of life. Kind of an interesting thought, right? That means that the decisions they are making right now have HUGE consequences as they are deciding on careers, marriage and children, missions, etc. They need to think about the things they are doing now with that in mind.

From Elder Oak's talk: As we consider various choices, we should remember that it is not enough that something is good. Other choices are better, and still others are best. Even though a particular choice is more costly, its far greater value may make it the best choice of all.

We then discussed things like watching television, playing on the computer and playing sports. We emphasized that not everything is worth the portion of our life we give to obtain it and we need to make the very best choices during this second seventh of life.

I think it is a lesson they won't soon forget, especially the boys! I didn't give them all 3 gifts, they had to choose one without seeing it first as we progressed in the lesson from good to better to best. The girls were good at helping the boys hold out for the "best" gift, but the next day Tucker came to me in the morning and said, "I'm wondering if I can see those spider man things again." Don't worry, they'll get a chance to earn them later after I'm sure they won't forget the message.

Anyway, I think we're off to a great start. I'm so happy that Tyler is able to give them each Father's blessings (and me one too!). It definitely sets the tone for a great year.

All started on different days and at different times. Emmaline was first, on Monday.


Savannah started bright and early on Wednesday and got the "cool ride".


And Oliver was later that morning.


Tucker starts Spanish School after Labor Day and he could not be more excited!!


5 comments:

Martha said...

I love the quote by Melvin J. Ballard mentioned in the last conference, "A person cannot give a crust to the Lord without receiving a loaf in return." I know your family will see the truth of that statement!

stephanie said...

You always choose the best themes, Charlotte!

Georgia said...

Love the theme and I love the statement that some things are worth giving up! It is so true!!

Karen and Crew said...

I think I want to use that idea! Love it. Thanks for sharing.

Judy Huntzinger said...

BEST idea! Wondering what the gifts were.