Wednesday, May 26, 2010

While we are on the subject...

A couple of weeks ago, our doorbell rang at midnight. You can imagine the panic that ensued. Turns out a dog had gotten loose and jumped up on our laying boxes, lifted up the hinged roof on our coop and gotten in with the chickens. Only one chicken initially died (another died about a week later from injuries from that night- we think). Now we still had 16 chickens at that time. Not all of them had names, but of course, that one did. It just happened to be Oliver's favorite- Ginger. I didn't tell the kids before school because there wasn't really enough time to mourn and still get to school on time. And I truly hoped that Oliver would just think one of the other chickens was Ginger.

Not a chance! As soon as he got home from school, he ran to the coop and I could hear him say, "Ginger? Nope- not out here. She must be laying an egg," as he searched the house. I explained to him what happened and attempted to comfort him. We went inside, where Tyler tried to help as well. We were sitting in the front room, focusing all of our attention on Oliver when we heard a thump down the front stairs and a scream. Tyler ran down to Tucker and yelled up the dreaded words, "Can you bring me a diaper?" That's always Tyler's code for "there's a lot of blood and I don't want you to see this."

I guess Tucker tried to climb down the stairs with both blankets- "Deet," and "Blue" and got them tangled around his legs. Tyler ran him down the street to InstaCare to have it checked out. By this time it was about nap time and his being tired and a bit traumatized by the experience made him a little subdued, I guess. Anyway, for what ever reason- they were concerned that he wasn't acting "like a two year old should." Tyler had to go to work, so I took Tucker up to Primary Children's Hospital. They quickly established that he was just fine. Maybe due to the fact that he was running around in the waiting room yelling, "I wike this! I wike this!" (I like this!) It was decorated with murals, there were fish and other fun things for kids. They quickly gave him 3 staples and we were off.

I used to wonder why my kids were so accident prone. Savannah had her first stitches at 18 months and broke her arm and Emmaline's had stitches about 9 times now, I think. In the past couple of years I've certainly had my share of crazy accidents as well (cutting off my finger in the disposal, dropping the seat in the van on my foot... to name just a couple). Guess I'm just a late bloomer.

6 comments:

Judy Huntzinger said...

Oooooh, so so sorry! Reading this in the hospital, I can say I don't agree at all with Tucker!

Judy Huntzinger said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Hank said...

Charlotte, I'm so impressed and proud of you that you are working so hard to ride a bike. As I tell my kids, "it just takes practice and everyone falls sometime". Do you remember when I fell down the stairs of the apt. bldg. spring after freshman year? You are not alone on being accident prone!
Do I remember correctly that you grew up in Tyler, TX? One of my good friends is about to move there.
Thinking of you,
Stephanie

julie said...

Oh Charlotte...... hope you guys have good insurance! So sorry to hear about our little guy, and the loss of a chicken IS very hard. I got quite attached to mine. So sorry Oliver.

Laura said...

Why does it seem like these things happen in bunches? I have had those times where when it rains, it pours. Hope the sun comes out soon!

Collings Family said...

Oh my gosh, oh my gosh. Why does it always have to be the one that Oliver loves the most?!
Sooo sorry and so sorry about Tucker!
Chloe says the same thing at Primary's "I like this!" We just found out we have to go back and unlike me, she was soooo excited.

Kids are almost out this summer - we should get together!