Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Bumps and bruises OR Why you shouldn't learn to ride a bike when you're 37 years old.

So my neighbor across the street had a great idea a few months ago. She was entering a triathlon so she could write an article about it for a magazine and offered to let me tag along and train with her. The only problem? I've never owned a bike and I don't know how to swim. But you know me- why let that hold me back?

Now, I did, technically know how to swim. This is a topic we've discussed before, but to refresh any of those un-interested in searching my archive of other boring topics, I took swimming lessons for a month when I was about 11 years old and never swam again. I mean, I went in the water- but never tried to swim laps or anything because I never got very good in that month and I HATE doing anything I'm not good at. Anyway, I discovered this really revolutionary method of swimming called "Total Immersion." It has been amazing and the results have been pretty dramatic. I had worked a couple of days a week for a month and been able to swim about 4 laps without stopping. After doing "Total Immersion" for a week I stopped counting how many laps I swam... I could just go on without getting tired. Now, I still have more work but continue to see progress and yesterday Tyler said I was getting hard to keep up with. I like that!

So why was Tyler swimming with me on Monday? Last week, my neighbor and I were attempting a bike ride. I bought a bike, but the weather has been so bad that I've only ridden it a couple of times. Unfortunately she fell and we had to spend a couple of hours in the E.R. instead of going for a bike ride. That should have clued me in that this is hard... she's had a lot more experience than me, but of course I just figured it was a crazy accident.

But let's back track for a moment. I learned to ride a bike when I was a kid... on my mother's bike. I think I was like 7 years old or something. It was a tan Schwinn and the only thing I remember about it was that I had to prop it up and climb up this metal column on the breazeway to attempt to ride it. It hurt TONS when I fell, I could barely reach the pedals, but somehow I learned to ride it. Why didn't I have my own? There were no sidewalks where we lived and the road was super dangerous and I wasn't allowed to ride on it. Anyway, fast forward to 1994 when I went "back packing" through Europe. All my friends rode bikes and Erin and I even rented some bikes while we were in Germany, but I never got good at it. By "never got good," I mean that all my friends laughed at how I weaved around and I think I ran into a tree when Erin and I were riding.

When I went to buy my new bike, I was so terrified of it, we propped it against the counter and one of the employees held on to one side while we attempted to "fit" it. I brought it home and practiced quite a bit on our awesome, huge driveway and felt pretty good. My first bike ride was by myself. It went really well. I actually just rode down to the park and rode around it a few times. This was a good idea. This morning was a BAD idea.

I figured, why go someplace boring when there are awesome trails in the mountains? After 45 minutes of riding straight uphill, I was pretty tired. By "pretty tired," I mean that I was pretty sure I couldn't make it home. The part of the trail before I turned around was a pretty steep decline, so I knew I had to go uphill for quite a way before I could go completely downhill all the way home. So I had the genius idea of taking a "short cut." I would go on a bike "trail" for a little way and then hook back up to the main road. Only problem? This trail was made for walking/running or a mountain bike and I was on a road bike. And then... there was a huge hole where they were putting in a new metal pipe for some reason. I tried to stop and turn, but to no avail. I crashed my bike and face planted. Luckily I was able to call Tyler and he came and got me because I bent the handlebar. So sad!! I don't know which I was more sad about... the fact that I was bleeding all over the place or that my bike was crashed. Well, probably that I was bleeding all over the place because now I have to endure the looks and questions of what happened.

Will the humiliation never end? I just healed from a huge gash on my forehead. The boys left some yogurt containers outside. I bent down to pick them up and forgot that the window above me was open. Anyway, word to the wise. Learn to ride a bike when you are a kid or not at all! Hmmm... I guess I'm not wise... the bike's in the shop and I fully expect to be back at it by Saturday.

5 comments:

Leslie said...

oh my gosh! that's all terrible, but a little bit funny, too. :) hope you heal quickly! i'd like to hear more about that swimming technique.

julie said...

Charlotte, you need a break. Please be careful. Come here and I'll train for a sprint tri with you. I was gonna do one 2 summers ago but then we moved. I would love to do one.

Georgia said...

Determination baby...

Judy Huntzinger said...

Aaaaah, it pains me to read that story! Pain meds please!!

Alyssa said...

OH No! I'm sure you'll get the hang of it-well, knowing you you already have.