Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Learning every day...

Let's see... things I have learned so far.
I've been on a lot of scaffolds, but never any that were this high. I didn't realize I was afraid of heights. It's getting better every day. Tyler took this picture. It doesn't really give a perspective of just how high they are, but believe me- they are high!!

I'm getting to know the employees a little better. Unfortunately one of them got expelled for 3 days for peeing in the Bride's room. I don't blame him, really. It's FAR to go to the bathroom and there is a perfectly good toilet (although not hooked up) right there! =) Boy is our senior citizen employee that I spend a bit of time with since I'm not particularly useful. He spends his day on his feet, picking up trash, handing up brushes, moving scaffolding and just helping everybody move forward. Jigger's name means "your father is a drunk." Don't know if that just isn't offensive or if his mother just wanted to make sure everyone knew.

At McDonald's, you have a choice of fries or rice with your meal. The rice is quite good.

Yesterday we ate at a place on the street was pretty tasty. The temple is in an unusually poor area. Yesterday the carpet carver was discussing it with us. Of all the temples he has worked on, this is the worst area he has ever seen a temple. We think maybe it is the only place that they could get enough land since it also has an enormous stake center, mission president's home, temple president's home, and temple patron housing. Hopefully having the temple there will help improve the situation.

Grocery stores here smell very bad. It is kind of a mixture of dirty diapers and rotten fruit. Not sure what the root is- maybe the way they display/store their meat? In the grocery store it is sitting on a stainless steel table (didn't get close enough to see if the table is actually kept cold). I have seen it on the street just sitting out.

The people here are very friendly, but aren't very used to white people. I am greeted everywhere with "Hello, ma'am," "Need help, ma'am?" That is, when I'm not walking by myself when I usually hear, "Hey, red hair!" I don't know what that's about.

I met Tyler's favorite little street beggar. Maybe I'll take a picture of him next time I see him. He was very proud to tell Tyler, "School today." That is the first time Tyler has seen him in a uniform, so maybe his mom is being able to make a little more money. School isn't free- almost, but people have a lot of kids and seem to think that if they can't send them all, they just won't send any of them. One thing I can't figure out, some of the kids bring these huge suitcases on wheels to school. Their fathers' usually roll them to school.

Well, I'm off to get back to the temple. More later.

6 comments:

julie said...

Interesting....I'd say you're learning. Thanks for the updates!

Matt H. said...

Nice update, red hair!

Georgia said...

So funny that someone would name their child something that means "Your father is a drunk!" Wow! I hope you are having a little bit of fun!

Portia Cason said...

It's a little scary imagining what your child would be named based on your faults!

I hope you're eating a lot of pancit and Lumpia. Yum!

Judy Huntzinger said...

Do you go many places "by yourself"?? ok so always a MOM but really... be so careful! K?

Collings Family said...

I love the updates. I'll have to tell Les to read them so he can reminisce about crazy Philippines. So glad you get to be with Tyler again!
loved the bit about Jigger