Monday, December 07, 2009

Fashion Challenged

Recently my brother Jeffie uploaded a video my Mama sent him when he was on his mission. It was so fun to see her and hear her talk, but I couldn't help but notice it all seemed a bit stilted and unrealistic. Kind of a guarded version of herself. I worry about that a lot. When I read some of my old journals I think they sound ridiculously unnatural. Which brings me to this post. I've thought about it for the last couple of days- going back and forth about whether to write it down. But in an effort to preserve my "true self" for my children, I decided I must write it. I know, I'm such a martyr!

Most of you know, Tyler recently got accepted to "A" Gallery. This is HUGE for him... something we'd hoped for but didn't think would happen so soon. They had a big Christmas show that opened last Thursday where his work was displayed for the first time in their gallery. Since he couldn't be there, I thought I should go to represent him. I stressed about what to wear for weeks. I have no fashion sense and could easily be featured on "What Not to Wear." I finally settled on an outfit that I thought would work, and focused on my next problem- make-up. I'm not a huge fan of make-up. Sometimes I wear it, but mostly I don't due to the fact that I hate the way it looks on me in almost every picture I see of myself. I had asked Tricia Layton if she would give me a little tutoring session on how to apply it, but couldn't make the time to have her help. Another problem is that in the last few years, I've found that my eyebrows have dramatically thinned out and those that are there are mostly white. I've taken to getting them waxed to ensure a good shape and a little tinting. Again- I couldn't make the time to go and have that done... until the night of the opening.

I know that is usually a BAD idea, but I didn't feel I had another choice. I had an extra 30 minutes where the girls were home and I decided to rush over to the salon. At the salon, the brows looked great- good shape and no greys. It was only after coming home and seeing my full face in the mirror (as opposed to the small mirror used for inspecting brows) that I realized what a disastrous mistake I had made. The tinting had gone too dark and I looked like I had painted on brows. Seems like there was some Seinfeld episode similar to this, but it was decidedly much less funny when happening in real life... TO ME!!

Tyler "messaged" me about then and I sent over a picture so he could give the verdict... "very dramatic." Not what I wanted to hear. I was panicked. There was nothing I could do and I was already going to be in an uncomfortable situation going to the gallery alone... even if I had my natural brows- which I now did not! Well, I finally decided I just had to do it. It was unfair to Tyler to do anything else. So I got myself together and talked myself into it. As I was getting ready to leave, I took one last glance in the full length mirror to find that earlier, when Tucker had given me a leg hug, he left a snot imprint of his face. And of course these were my "best" jeans- "best" meaning I can squeeze myself into them. I spot cleaned them the best I could and blow dried the wet spot and I was out the door.

The night turned out to be fantastic. The paintings were gorgeous, there was a huge crowd- and I got to hang out with the artist guys. Tyler's gonna love them. I'm glad I went. I've since decided the eyebrows must not be too noticeable. Emmaline is usually the first to mention anything that she finds a little off or "awkward" (as she likes to say) and she hasn't mentioned them. Luckily I think they will fade before Tyler gets back.

**P.S. Yes, Tricia and Tim- this is the real reason I didn't meet you on Thursday night. But Tucker truly does have a cold and that's why I couldn't meet you at "Festival of Trees." We'll get together soon!!!

**P.S.S. After the first couple of comments, I have to say... THIS WAS NOT AN UNDERHANDED PLOY FOR COMPLIMENTS. Thanks so much, but it's okay to just laugh and agree with how ridiculous the whole situation is.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your "Lucy" story with us. You might look different with dark eyebrows but you would still look great. Glad you had a good time and we're so proud of Tyler. Gail

Laura said...

Isn't it funny how we think certain things of ourselves that can be so different than how others see us? I've always seen you as super fashionable. I am sure you fit right in at the fancy gallery. Will it be available for us to come and see it while we're there in a few weeks? We'd love it if we could.

Collings Family said...

You are too funny! I am so shocked that you are calling yourself fashion challenged. Every time I see you I always think "I need to do better when I go shopping because Charlotte is so cute." That one time we went to the children's museum and you wore a skirt - you looked so feminine I realized that I always wear pants! So I started wearing skirts again. The first time I did it John said, "You going somewhere special today?" "No! I just wanted to wear a skirt!
By the way, I've got to deliver that chicken I owe you before Christmas. Would it be better to do it during the day while the kids are in school? Or better say, a Sunday eve?

Terry said...

I have to agree with Laura - you always look wonderful! With more thought, I'm not sure I notice what you are wearing, because you are always so beautiful.

Portia Cason said...

That's hilarious! Poor you. Did you forget about them once you were there? My friend Laura (the one who is related to Tyler) is really blond and fair and she once had her eyebrows tinted brown. We still laugh about it. Congratulations to Tyler as well. How exciting!

Keeping up with the Joneses said...

When in doubt...wear black. That's my fashion advice for you. Black always looks professional. I do brows and I know how that tint can be...in a few days the color will be perfect (the tint fades really quickly) Brows are a thing that I would do a few days prior. I'm sure you looked amazing, you always do. That's really awesome for Tyler, he deserves it!

julie said...

Next time just put on some RED lipstick. I'm sure no one will notice your eyebrows!! Heehee you're hilarious...oh the things we stress about.

Judy Huntzinger said...

Great story! and revealing ummm. Who knew. Glad the opening went well and I have no doubt you were a hit too! So brave, you are a real asset to Tyler and his work. CAN HARDLY WAIT UNTIL CHRISTMAS!!! So fun

Alyssa said...

I think you have great fashion sense too! But, I was looking forward to a photo of those fancy, dramatic eyebrows :) I'm guessing they look great! I need to tint mine too but, can't bring myself to hit the salon.
Glad you went and got to see the fruits of your(you & Tyler's) Congratulations!

Tricia L said...

I hate having those days when you feel like no matter what you do or how long you work on yourself, you still aren't presentable. Those suck. I'm sorry that happened and if you felt pressured from us. Tim was telling me that we should volunteer to go over to your house for the makeup lesson just in case you were wanting it for the A Gallery showing. How'd he know? Just let me know when you have time. We're getting a second car soon, so I'll be able to go over there if it's easier for you (it'll be a nice reason to get out of the house and for Gavin to play with "Lemonlime").