Friday, August 03, 2007

Parting Gifts



Have you ever read this book? It was suggested by Emmaline's preschool teacher at the time of Mama's passing. There are several lines that I love:
"Each of the animals had a special memory of Badger- something he had taught them that they could now do extremely well. He had given them each something to treasure: a parting gift that would become all the more special each time it was passed on to others."

As I think about Mama, on her birthday, I love to remember all the gifts that she gave to me. The songs she taught me that I now sing to my children ("Mama's little baby loves shortnin' bread"). The little sayings she often repeated that I tell myself when I get down ("Determination baby, sheer determination."). The wonderful recipes she shared (a batch of her banana bread is in the oven right now).

In time since Aunt Teensy passed, I've felt Mama's presence a lot less. I think partly because she is more busy now, but I hope it is also because she believes that I am doing well enough that she doesn't have to worry about me anymore. I hope she looks at me and feels me say "thank you" in the way that I live that is a reflection of her as I pass these parting gifts to my own children.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday to Aunt Annis. You gave many "parting gifts" to all your family, not just your children and grandchildren.