Thursday, July 13, 2006

Martha of the Mill- Chapter 2

(I would like to use an outfit similar to this for the doll's costume)

Thanks for all of your comments on Chapter 1. They were really helpful... so keep them coming. I did include more description of Martha, but I couldn't figure out how to explain why she had to work in the mill. It broke up the flow too much. Then I was reading a Lois Lowry book that ended this way, "How much of Annemarie's story is true? I know I will be asked that. Let me try to tell you, here, where fact ends and fiction begins."
I think I will end it in a similar way. The American Girl doll books have a little section called "Looking Back" that gives more pictures and historical info about the time period the books are written about. I think a combination of those ideas will be a good way to include the info I need to, especially since later I will be using historical characters. In answer to other questions... the book will be about 60 pages (hopefully) and just be a short introduction. When Savannah read the first chapter she said, "Oh, so you aren't going to name the chapters?" Funny the little details a kid will find. So any votes on a name for Chapter 1? Savannah thought "A New Friend," I would guess because that is the most important part of Chapter 1 to her... but they aren't really friend yet. I think "A Job," "The Mill," "The Factory"... need help obviously. Here is Chapter 2.

"At Home" (other suggestions are appreciated)

It seemed the day would never end, but finally Martha heard the bell signaling the end of the day and the silence as the looms slowed and then stopped. Martha hurried home, knowing her mother would be waiting for her return to help with the little ones.

As she opened the door, Martha was overwhelmed by the smells that met her. Boiled cabbage, rotting vegetables and sweat filled the building. Martha hurried to her own apartment, hoping to shut out the rest of the filth with the cleanliness of the world of her own little family.

"Hello, Martha,"” greeted her mother, attempting to hide the tiredness in her voice. She stood beside the stove, stirring the thin soup as she held the baby propped on her hip. "“Your smile always makes this home a happy place."

Martha did have a cheerful smile. Although she was tired, she felt she could finally relax in the company of her family without worrying about making a mistake. She quickly set the table for the family: her mother, 6 year old brother, and herself. The baby would sit on mother'’s lap, sharing her food. She tried not to look at the space left empty by her father, but still found a lump in her throat. Life was so much harder without him. Not only because now she had to work in the factory, but his booming voice and frequent jokes made life seem dull without him.

After dinner, Martha helped wash the dishes in a large basin by the stove. She dragged the heavy bucket down the stairs to pour the dirty water into the street. Hurrying back up the steps, Martha waited at the table as her mother put the younger children to bed. They worked by the light of a smoky oil lamp, sewing beautiful dresses for dolls. Martha often wished she could shrink to the size to fit into one of the tiny outfits. It seemed such a waste to make such fancy things for a toy, but she was glad of the work since it helped to put food on the table. Martha only hoped that one day she too could have a doll to dress in one of the dresses. Not a fancy doll, just a small, simple toy to carry everywhere in her pocket and talk to when she was lonely.

Martha'’s eyes felt heavier and heavier as the night wore on until she finally felt her mother leading her to the bed.

"“I'’m so sorry I couldn'’t help more,'” Martha told her mother.

"You did good work for someone who spent the day in the factory," replied her mother. "“I can finish the rest."”

Martha drifted to sleep, trying not to think of the short time she would have to relax before she must be off to the factory again.

2 comments:

joojierose said...

awesome again! i loved stories like this when i was younger. i know exposition is hard becuase it breaks up the flow of it all, but perhaps you could mention more about her family - how many siblings she has, how old they are etc. that's all i can think of!

stephanie said...

i haven't read a book for this age group since i was actually part of this age group, so i don't feel like i can give much advice. however, i love what you have written. i think i need more details, though. it is such a great idea! i can't wait to see the next installment.