Sunday, January 06, 2008

Soldier Notes

Tyler always wishes he had something to give to the soldiers that he sees in the airport. And since he's off to New York for another two weeks... this is what we came up with. He'll attach them to a little bag of Skittles.



8 comments:

Judy Huntzinger said...

This just touched my heart. Hope to hear the stories afterward. I can't quite read what Savannah said.... could you help me? Great idea.

tim said...

Savannah is so well spoken!

Leslie said...

savannah's note is so beautiful. what a great idea!

Charlotte said...

Savannah's says:
"Though the days are hard, dangerous and weary, you help us every day. You do it as if we were your only family. And I think it is time we said Thank You."

stephanie said...

wow. how old is savannah? she is so eloquent. what a nice idea.

Judy Huntzinger said...

LaVar showed me how I could have zoomed in and read it. Sorry, they are all wonderful. This is just great.

Keeping up with the Joneses said...

Sooo sweet! I miss your cute kids as neighbors. I love there letters!

Tyler H said...

I was only able to give out 2 on the way here. The first guy looked like he was about 15 and terrified. He was in the security line as I was leaving the terminal. He seemed very appreciative and not very surprised. I would like to think that he was used to that kind of thing but I am pretty sure it was just the idealism of his youth showing through. He definitely looked a little different (lighter) after just having someone speak to him and yelled “tell them thank-you for me!” (be sure to pass that on) as I was walking away The other soldier was a bit older – though still very young. He looked like he has had a tough life (major acne scaring and sour disposition). He was obviously hiding under his hat, and was a little annoyed that I was talking to him. I don’t think he made much of an effort to even try to hear or understand the words I was saying to him. He didn’t want to take Anything out of my hand, though he eventually did I had my hand out well past the awkward point and kept get my silly smile (I have no other) on my face. He shoved the packet into his pocket and kept on walking. I put all three note on the packet since I was not going to need anywhere near as many as we made. We were leaving the Air-train on the way to the subway so we walk several hundred feet together after that. At the elevator to the subway he waited for the second one I supposed so he didn’t have to ride with me (plenty of space on the elevator). He probably was afraid I was going to talk to him or something. He ended up right behind me as I exited the elevator as his didn’t stop and mine did on all the 3 levels. I don’t know if he will care in the least about our kids words or the sentiment behind them. I hope so. He seems to need something good in his life right then at least. Thanks for helping the kids put those together.