We've had a pretty good start for the year. I always feel a little let down when Tyler drives the girls off to school on the first day. Part of me still wants to walk them to the front door, buut I'm glad that they enjoy it enough they have only excitement to get back into the swing of things.
A few hours into the day, I got a teary phone call from Emmaline saying she got put into "Homework Support" (basically study hall) instead the creative writing or choir class she wanted. I tried to get her to give it a try, but our phone call ended with her saying she was going to talk to the principal. That evening, as she struggled to get all of her homework done, she decided she would rather be in "Homework Support and would get the principal to change it the next day. And Emmaline wonders why that lady doesn't seem to like her?!
Oliver really loves kindergarten. He came home the first day saying, "Her name is All Red Mrs. Allred." Think he got a little confused when she explained her name. He told Tyler later that he "really liked her, but that was private." First crush on a teacher, I guess. He also said he made a new friend named "Thumbs Uh" ("Just like a thumb on your hand."). When I went to Back to School Night I found that the little boys name is Hasma. Pretty funny.
We've decided our theme for this year will be "Happiness is a choice." That seems like a harder and harder skill- particularly when you start Middle School, so hopefully it will give the girls something to think about and work on. So far we're off to a good start.
5 comments:
i love your theme. that is such a great idea. i hope the school year goes well for you!
I love your theme, too! But I have to tell you that I also love that Emmaline would up and go see the principal when there was something that she didn't like about her schedule. I would never have done that in a million years at her age and I think that it is wonderful that she stands up for herself. It might not help her popularity as a child, but it will serve her well in adulthood. Now she's just got to get the part about "happiness is a choice..." :)
To the front door? You wanted to take them to CLASS. I think it is pretty obvious why they might want me to take them. We all love you very much!
Cutie patooties! You guys are awesome.
Great stories! I think Ollie has a right to be confused about Hasma? But the stretch to Thumbs Uh? Asthma would have been closer, maybe that was what he could remember. They all look so grown up and stylish for their first day. Those bags look like they may last for the whole year that would be good. Glad they are liking school. Some people live their whole lives thinking that OTHERS should make THEM happy and just can't figure out how come other fall short at doing it... those are unhappy folks!!
Post a Comment