Sunday, August 30, 2009

We have a teenager!

Savannah turned 13 on the day we left for Mexico. I can't believe how time has flown. We had her wear a crown that said "Birthday Princess" on the airplane. We didn't get settled into the house until late that night, and couldn't find any matches for a candle- so Brad improvised with a flashlight =)


To give her kind of a "Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants" experience (she watched that movie a couple of times while we were there) we had a mariachi band sing to her at a restaurant we ate at later in the week- no pictures because she got stung by a wasp right as they began to sing and I was trying to get ice to stop the swelling and got distracted! We ended the week with a giant pinata filled with Mexican candy.


You'd have to ask her, but I think she felt pretty good about the birthday week. She was able to celebrate here in Salt Lake earlier this month with a few friends by going to see the new Harry Potter movie when it came out.
As I've said before, Savannah is such a great kid. Even with all the hormones and changes of life that happen at this age, she's pretty easy to get along with (the tears are just a little closer to the surface these days). I can't think of a better little person to teach me how to be a mother. Her patience with us through the years is amazing. Although she's pretty grown up now, she won't go to bed without a goodnight hug and kiss- even if she's been upset with us only moments before. She truly knows how to focus on the good things and have a positive attitude. We love you, Savannah.

10 comments:

Collings Family said...

Aw, I hope my girls are just as wonderful when they hit 13...I've got to tell ya, I'm a little scared! Savannah gives me hope!

Leslie said...

she is a great girl, we love her too!

Portia Cason said...

Happy Birthday Savannah! I can't believe she's 13. Crazy. She's so beautiful...always has been!

Keeping up with the Joneses said...

That is sooo crazy!! How in the world is she already a teenager?? I still think of her as a little girl! She is a great kid you guys are lucky to have her. Happy Birthday Savannah!

Judy Huntzinger said...

Soounds like a grrrrrreat birthday a week long!! REally? Having a birthday in the summer always a chance for a birthday one would never had imagined. Do you remember your second birthday in Albuquerue? there was a mariachi band and a big hat, that was fun too!

Georgia said...

Oh, we love you, Savannah! I wish we could have been with you on your birthday. Ganmama would sing to you, "You're a big girl now, you want to be treated like a big girl now...Da da da da da..."

Unknown said...

what a sweet girl- Happy Birthday Savannah!

Judy Huntzinger said...

Let Me add my congrats. You are doing so many wonderful things. And being wonderful. We love you. Grand Dad

julie said...

Growing up can be so fun and so devastating at the same time. Hope all goes well for our 'newest teenager' this year. Your beautiful on the inside as well as the outside!

Alyssa said...

HAppy be-lated birthday!!! The kids couldn't believe we missed being with you to celebrate...but, i'm glad it was so fun!