Sunday, August 23, 2009

La Paz, Mexico

I actually don't even know where to begin to describe this trip. That may be because I have been so bad about updating the blog lately... but we had a wonderful vacation. I think it was all the better because I dreaded it so much. My life has felt crazy for the last few months, and up until the Sunday before we left, I just couldn't get around to getting anything ready to go. That meant I had to stay up all night before we left trying to pack at the last minute. By 4:15, I was literally just throwing things in the suitcase, hoping I wouldn't forget anything, but knowing that if I did- there are plenty of Wal-Mart stores in Mexico.

The last time we went to Mexico was 2003. We've wanted to go back ever since. It's only in Mexico that you can experience signs like this:


We went with Tyler's uncle Brad, Kendal and their daughter Isabel and rented a house right on the beach.

Most of the days were spent searching out other beaches in the area.

The water was amazing and many of the areas were virtually deserted.

We managed to get the cars stuck in the sand twice. After the first time, Brad suggested we treat the trip like a white-water rafting trip. Someone always needed to look ahead to make sure we didn't go over a waterfall.
After the second time getting it stuck, we were a little more serious about that! We had a blast catching puffer fish, crabs, eel, and sea urchins (or "urgents" as Emmaline's prefers to call them).


The wind was just right for flying kites.


On the last day, we all went to an island that a group of sea lions use as home.

It was amazing to be so close up to them.

On the boat ride back, a group of dolphins surrounded our boat... jumping, and circling us for quite a while.

It was a magical way to end a great vacation.

9 comments:

Keeping up with the Joneses said...

I was just checking on blogs and I ran in to this...What a wonderful family vaca! I heart Mexico! I really do. As a family we always vacationed there and Dan and I spent our honeymoon there, my sister lived there for 4 years etc.etc. I heart it. Great pics. The dolphin one is classic!

Unknown said...

wow -! it looks beautiful and so fun

Tricia said...

So glad you didn't get attacked by drug dealers!! Seriously, though, it looks beautiful. Looking forward to seeing you on Sunday.

julie said...

Wow Charlotte, looks like you all had an amazing time. Since we all love the beach so much we should plan a family trip one summer. Renting houses on the beach is the best! Ours was so cheap.

Georgia said...

I'm so glad you had so much fun! It looks so beautiful. Maybe we'll have to join you next time!

Tyler H said...

That was very succinct. You have skills. I actually wouldn't have been able to figure out where to start describing that vacation. I am definitely hoping to get back to La Paz as often as possible.

Leslie said...

looks so fun; i should have had you get me sand. dang it! :)
miles is saying, "oh tuck tuch, so cute." over and over. :)

Portia Cason said...

That looks so fun. I love your pictures. I love Mexico so much and your pictures make me want to go there RIGHT NOW!

P.S. Tucker is unbelievably cute. You must get surrounded everywhere you go.

amy jo said...

What a fun vacation! Looks beautiful.