Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Perspective

As I was coming out of the building for Girl Scouts, one of the other mom's stopped me and asked, "How is it that I have so much chaos and drama in my life with just one child that I can't make it to anything and you have 3 kids and you are at every activity?"
Emmaline asked why she would say that to me (I think she thought the lady was criticizing me). I wondered too. Here is a little snapshot of my day(and this is just this afternoon). I went to "Story Time" at the library with Oliver, then went to pick up Savannah at the school. We rushed to the Aviary to meet the Girl Scout troop (they get out of school early), then hurried home to grab a snack for the kids and get Savannah into her soccer uniform. We dropped Savannah off and hurried back to the school for the Family Fitness Fair. I left Emmaline at the school with another mom while I picked up Savannah from soccer and came back to the school. We got home at 8:15 and it was time for everyone to go to bed.
I'm sure lots of us had a day like this, and will probably wake up tomorrow and have another day just like it. Having that mom say that to me really made me think. I guess to her (a recently divorced mom with a live-in boyfriend) I have a charmed life. No chaos, no drama... nothing much to worry about. And when I look at my list for the day... I do. I have a wonderful husband (who I really wish would COME HOME) and three fantastic children that I got to run around all day with. The toys on the floor, piled-up paperwork, whacked-out hormones, broken washing machine... all will just be there tomorrow. And maybe, if I'm lucky, I'll get a chance to cross off something on that to-do list... but if I'm even luckier I'll just hang out with my kids again.
Here are some pictures from the Aviary.
Savannah and her best friend Nikki.

Oliver looking at the ducks.

Kind of a weird look on Emmaline's face... but it was the only second I could catch her.

Oliver kept calling the bird in this picture... "Come here yittle guy"... but when it finally came, he was distracted by a loud peacock and didn't notice it! (look in the left corner, under the leaves.)

2 comments:

stephanie said...

my oliver says yittle, too. i love it.
you are a good mom. thanks so much for all of your morning sickness tips! i know i have it easy compared to you and a lot of other people, but i will take all the help i can get!

Leslie said...

hooray for pictures! i had a mom say that to me once, too. "I have only one kid and can't handle it and you're so good with your three!"
well, lady, you don't see me all the time. we are all so very lucky though. i always say how i long for normalcy and the regular old days of momming, especially on the days when everything seems wrong or out of place. i remember the day we were evacuating to dallas, i kept thinking, i really just wish this was a regular old thursday. :)