Sunday, March 15, 2009

We live in a barn!


For anyone that doesn't know... we've added 20 to our clan. Yes, our house officially smells like a barn. The hope is that at least 10 will live. So far one drowned itself. We went down to check on them and it had it's head under the water in the dish. We dried it off and put it back under the lamp. It could barely walk, but somehow managed to drag itself back to the water and finish off the dead. Hopefully that doesn't say anything about her thoughts of us as caregivers and the quality of life she thought we could provide. If we end up with as many eggs as we think (72 a week) we plan on having Ollie take the others around to sell to neighbors to pay for the feed. We can't wait for spring when these ladies can head outside.

8 comments:

Judy Huntzinger said...

They look so cute, we had a few for a weekend once. Tyler's teach had them at school and they needed cared for over the weekend. We thought that was a pretty big deal. Here you are growing them in your basement. What does Megan think of them?

Unknown said...

cool! fresh eggs!

Portia Cason said...

My parents did this one year and put them in my room. They were cute, but they smelled so bad!

Keeping up with the Joneses said...

They are really cute, but Dan would freak out. One cat pushes him over the edge. I bet your kids love em'!

Matt H. said...

You got chickens? Are you just starting with them? I've always wanted chickens.

Laura said...

Good luck! I wonder if Megan will chase them? Are you going to build a coop in your back yard?

Alyssa said...

oh what fun! I think you'll be loving the fresh eggs!

Anonymous said...

Why in the world did you get chickens?? I raised them for 4-H. One time, my mom went in the coop to feed them, and found one that had hung itself. I guess chickens must have major suicidal tendencies!