Wednesday, October 29, 2008

We lost Oliver today.

I'm not kidding. We lost him for a whole 30 minutes this morning and I'm still having trouble recovering from the trauma. The girls had already left for school and I was feeding the baby. Oliver wanted to watch T.V. and I said "no" because Tucker won't pay attention to what he is doing if there is any noise in the room. I asked Oliver to go to his room and play until I was done. It was taking a long time to feed the baby, so I asked Tyler to get Oliver dressed and feed him breakfast.

That's when we realized he was gone. At first I was sure he was downstairs, watching a movie, but he didn't answer when Tyler called him. We quickly checked the house and couldn't find him anywhere. This took about 5 minutes, but I was already panicked! He is just not the type of kid to wander off by himself and he only has one friend in the neighborhood- our next door neighbor- who had already left for school.

I called 911 in the first 10 minutes. I just couldn't fathom where he could be if not inside the house or right outside the door. That is the WORST feeling- describing your child to someone, trying to think of their most unique features that would immediately help find them. I was very near hysterical at this point. Something kept telling me that he was fine and not outside, but I couldn't be still and listen, even for a second. I was running around "like a chicken with it's head cut off" as Mama would say. I finally gave in to the prompting and ran inside, this time screaming, "OLIVER." I hear a groggy, "What is it, Mama?"

He is such a sweet little boy. Earlier, when I told him to go back to his room- that's just what he did. He went and laid back in his bed, and fell back asleep. He didn't even hear us calling him and was a bit confused by my tears and crushing hug. Man, I'm glad he is safe. That feeling was so awful- I can't stop thinking about it, although I feel really stupid!

7 comments:

Laura said...

We lost Sam for about a half hour at a Thanksgiving Point fair when he was about Oliver's age. They locked down every gate so no one could leave with him and let me just say, I know how you feel. Nothing is so scary.

Keeping up with the Joneses said...

So, So, scary! What a good little boy to do what he is told. But how aweful for you two not knowing where he is. I'm so glad he is safe and sound.

Leslie said...

we lost miles while we were in california. turns out my dad had him, but i didn't know it. i seriously thought my life was over if someone had taken him. we were at an outdoor concert and it was getting dark. i was about ten seconds away from having the band leader stop the music and make an announcement. and audrey started crying when a few minutes had gone by. so scary.

Collings Family said...

Oh I just feel for you! I hate hate hate that panic you feel when you don't know where your child is. Its happened tooo many times to me and I never listen to the small voice because I freak out. So glad he's okay. John's mom always tells me the story of how John disappeared from their home when he was two for HOURS. The police couldn't locate him, they thought he was dead. Finally someone brought him home because he had wandered down the street to a different meetinghouse, walked into the nursery and was happily attending nursery. Everyone assumed his parents were visitors until no one came to pick him up after the block.

stephanie said...

oh dear. that is scary. i am so glad he was safe.

Judy Huntzinger said...

I am still thinking about that today. When Tyler called I could feel his hysteria before he even spoke. I can't be grateful enough that he is safe. I just makes me cry. I have so much sympathy with parents who really have lost a child.

Alyssa said...

I am glad to hear he was back in bed...I am sorry you had to call 911--I agree it's not a good feeling to be describing your child and what they were wearing last. I just made my first call a while ago even though it wasn't our fist "missing" adventure.
I am glad you were able to come back inside following the promptings in your heart. Without prayer, I am sure we wouldn't have all of our children safe and sound at the end of any given day.