Sunday, December 10, 2006

Whenever you see tinsel...

Christmas is hard for me! It was Mama's favorite time of year. She would spend all year getting ready for it, really, buying lots of presents for everyone, big and small. She always wanted everyone to have a lot of things under the tree to open. In their house in Texas, she even had a "presents room." An oversized closet with everything imaginable used to wrap and hide the presents. I told Martha that I was feeling a little down and she wrote me the most touching email. (Hope she doesn't mind me sharing... but I thought it might be helpful to all of us that might be missing Mama, especially at this time of year.)

"One day we went to Big Lots in Independence in early November.
Christmas stuff was everywhere. She said, "I just love Christmas. Do
you think they celebrate Christmas in the spirit world?" I said I was
sure they did celebrate Christ's birth, though I wasn't sure they
decorated. She said, "Maybe they'll let me hang a little tinsel." As
we decorated our tree, I told Morgan, when you see tinsel, you never
know, maybe Ganmama hung it just for you."

I love that thought and it has made me smile in the last couple of days. So look for the tinsel.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for that, Charlotte. I remember the presents room, too. The year we were in Houston and they were still in Tyler, I came up and wrapped most of the gifts for mama. It was lots of fun, I'll never forget how she just loved to see the reaction of someone opening a gift from her. Neal always told me to act REALLY excited, just for her pleasure. Of course, I always loved what she gave me anyway.
We just might have to go get some gold tinsel. :)

Anonymous said...

this entry had me tearing up - Leslie speaks so fondly of your mother that for someone I've never met, I sure can't wait to meet her some day. What tender and wonderful memories you have shared - thank you!